Siding is the protective material attached to the exterior side of a wall of a house or other building. Along with the roof, it forms the first line of defense against the sun, rain, snow, heat and cold, thus creating a stable, more comfortable environment on the interior side.
The siding material and style also can enhance or detract from the building's beauty. There is a wide and expanding variety of materials to side with.
Upgrading or replacing your exterior siding can be a daunting decision. Mainly because of the all the choices you have to make on the different types of siding for homes. Insulated vinyl, fiber cement, or wooden shakes are just a few of the siding options and materials you have as a homeowner.
- Vinyl siding is by far the leader boasting roughly 30% market share of new home siding installations. Vinyl siding is attractive due to its combination of durability, color options, and low cost which make it attractive to the budget-conscious homeowner.
- Metal siding is usually associated with retro and modern style type buildings. Installing metal siding for your home can give it a unique appeal if done properly. The most common types of materials are aluminum and steel siding.
- Everyone likes wood, this type of siding can add a natural & beautiful exterior to your house. The changing colors and tones of wood instantly make a home feel warm and inviting. There are several species of wood to choose from such as: spruce, pine, fir, cedar, and redwood.
- On the heels of vinyl siding, another popular siding option is fiber cement. This is a mixture of wood fibers, sand, and cement. It is built to mimic the look and feel of natural wood siding, with less hassle of maintenance, insects, and cost.
- Stucco siding is more traditional Spanish style exterior made up of a lime mixture, sand, and cement. Although you can paint stucco, it does not hold well and requires often repainting.
- Stone siding is the grandaddy of all siding and comes with a highest cost of siding to install. The 2 options are real stone siding and faux stone siding (stone veneer).